Skip to main content

Review of Stalking Jack the Ripper



I gave this book 5/5 stars!


I can't believe I waited so long to start this book! It has everything I love: murder mysteries, romance, forensics... 

- SMALL SPOILER IN NEXT PARAGRAPH -

The descriptions are everything! They allow you to clearly visualize what is described and basically transport you straight into the book. I wasn't bothered by the descriptions of cutting people open and examining them. Keep in mind that I am not bothered with blood or anything remotely close to that, especially when I am reading it. With that, I do think that people who are sensitive to those things wont mind it either. It also isn't like that all you read in each chapter. I believe I only read it 3-5 times in the entire book, and they weren't going into grand detail. 

- SPOILERS ENDED -

Lets discuss characters... I am in love with each and every one of them. And I truly do mean that. They were all individually unique, having their own personality characteristics that were devoted to them. But they were tied together through their passions and by family means. I think this is what really interested me. How different personalities work together and can lead to the same profession interests. 

I really liked the pictures, especially since I didn't know what some of the different things were. This would include tubercular leprosy. I think that the pictures chosen were perfect, not being too graphic or gory. I also liked reading which aspects of the book were true and which were not at the end. I must say, I do have a newfound curiosity with Jack the Ripper now. 

Maniscalco does a great job at keeping it a mystery on who Jack the Ripper is. Throughout the entire book I thought it was one person, but it turned out to be someone else. Maniscalco stole my heart like she herself were Jack the Ripper. Her writing style is crazy addictive and I see what the hype about this book is about. Can't wait to continue reading this series and see what else she comes up with!


This review is on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
A #1 New York Times Bestseller!

Presented by James Patterson's new children's imprint, this deliciously creepy horror novel has a storyline inspired by the Ripper murders and an unexpected, blood-chilling conclusion...

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

The story's shocking twists and turns, augmented with real, sinister period photos, will make this dazzling, #1 New York Times bestselling debut from author Kerri Maniscalco impossible to forget.



Reading log: Jun. 20, 2019 - Jun. 21, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...