Skip to main content

Review of Legendary



I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I gave this book 4/5 stars!

I was pleased to see that Legendary picks up exactly where Caraval had left off. I usually don't read the synopsis of books before I read them when they are the next book in a series, trilogy, or duology, so I didn't know where this book would be headed. I was a little skeptical to pick it up because I didn't know where it would leave off or where else the story could go. But after reading the first chapter I was pleased with the route it had taken. 

Although it didn't have the same effect on me as Caraval had, I still enjoyed the book and am glad I don't have to wait for the next book to be released. I feel like this book didn't have the same magical appeal as Caraval had, and there was more at stake here. I also found myself needing to push through certain parts that I wasn't as interested in, but there was a good balance between exciting moments and breaks.

The romance in this book and the stakes had a different vibe than Caraval, and I consider that to be one of the most interesting aspects of the book. I also really enjoyed seeing struggles between relationships, showing that relationships have their ups and downs since it seems everywhere nowadays people believe they are smooth sailing. I think it brought a lively aspect to the book.

I really enjoyed reading this book, especially with the stakes being so high and the mystery. There are many questions that were left unanswered in the first book, and I think this book does a wonderful job at answering them, but while that may be the case, new questions definitely appeared, especially towards the end. 

There was also character development for those that were briefly touched on in Caraval, or didn't have a lot of development that also caused this story to be more interesting. I think this because in the first book we could have been lead to believe they weren't as important of a character, but in this one, we learn that there is more than meets the eye.

If you enjoyed the first book and loved it, I highly recommend reading this one, and if you read the first book and it wasn't your cup of tea, I recommend giving this one a try. It has a different atmosphere to it that may be more enjoyable for you.

This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
The instant #1 New York Times bestseller! Stephanie Garber’s limitless imagination takes flight once more in the colorful, mesmerizing, and immersive sequel to the bestselling breakout debut Caraval...

A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.
After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.
The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more―and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfill her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about―maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.
Welcome, welcome to Caraval...the games have only just begun.


Reading log: Jun. 16, 2019 - Jun. 17, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...