Skip to main content

Review of Lady Smoke



I gave this book 3.5/5 stars. 

Lady Smoke is a great book, and I would recommend reading it to those who liked Ash Princess because it doesn't change its atmosphere, and it feels very similar to the first book. It doesn't change in any of its formatting, style, etc., unlike other books.

It is very much like other middle books where there are times when the book is more interesting than other times, but I found it easy to power through it. I think this was because I knew it would be getting interesting again sooner than later. 

There's character development shown throughout in multiple characters, and it definitely adds a special spark to each of them, and the story. It was nice to see them develop more. Slowly, but surely.

I found a few phrases that continually kept being used, which kind of bothered me because I would be momentarily pulled back to reality when I realize it was used two times before. 

The love triangle continues and I still don't know who she will choose. She goes from one to the other, more than I have seen in the last book. 

There were still a few questions left unanswered from the first book, and it also added to those questions. I am hoping that the final book will answer those questions well.


This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
The sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller that was "made for fans of Victoria Aveyard and Sabaa Tahir" (Bustle), Lady Smoke is an epic new fantasy about a throne cruelly stolen and a girl who must fight to take it back for her people.

The Kaiser murdered Theodosia's mother, the Fire Queen, when Theo was only six. He took Theo's country and kept her prisoner, crowning her Ash Princess--a pet to toy with and humiliate for ten long years. That era has ended. The Kaiser thought his prisoner weak and defenseless. He didn't realize that a sharp mind is the deadliest weapon.

Theo no longer wears a crown of ashes. She has taken back her rightful title, and a hostage--Prinz Soren. But her people remain enslaved under the Kaiser's rule, and now she is thousands of miles away from them and her throne.

To get them back, she will need an army. Only, securing an army means she must trust her aunt, the dreaded pirate Dragonsbane. And according to Dragonsbane, an army can only be produced if Theo takes a husband. Something an Astrean Queen has never done.

Theo knows that freedom comes at a price, but she is determined to find a way to save her country without losing herself.



Reading log: Jun. 18, 2019 - Jun. 20, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...