Skip to main content

Review of Shadow and Bone



I gave this book 4/5 stars!

This book is original, action-packed, and unpredictable at times. I couldn't be more happy to have finally read this book. I don't see what the hype is all about yet, but I hope that I will soon. Just because I am not head over heels in love with this book doesn't mean that I didn't like this book. I actually enjoyed it and sped through this book faster than I anticipated. One moment I was on page one and the next I was already half way through the book. Each chapter brought something different to the story, and that made me want to continue to read without putting the book down. I wanted to see what will happen next, knowing that the next chapter won't feel like a filler.

I love the magic system, and I think it is one of my top favorites by far. There is so much to it that I feel like we don't know yet, especially since the magic is different for everyone. The fact that they each individual Grisha (people with magic) have different limits. I don't recall ever reading a book where the people with magic have limits like in this book. I think it adds a special aspect to the book that the others don't have. Also, the fact that amplifiers have to be earned and that one person can only have one is something I found to like. There is something about it that makes Grisha appear more human to me and less special. 

Now, let's talk romance. I love every single moment Mal and Alina shared. They are just too darn cute and I cannot wait to see where their relationship takes them. I like that Bardugo ventured into the "you don't know what you had until you think you've lost it" part of love. While that may be the case, I also did like Alina and the Darkling just as much. (YES there is a love triangle in the book.)

There were so many details that brought the story to life. My favorites where about the Little Palace. I felt like the descriptions added a special type of magic to the book. I would have probably imagined it less grand that the way Bardugo intended. With these descriptions, I was able to tell the difference between Grisha life and peasant/serf life. You could see the border line between the two easily.

The character development with Alina was spectacular. I love her personality, especially when it comes down to her magic. She doesn't let herself be contained and it shows that she knows her self worth. It was crazy to see her go from one side of herself to another, and it drove the story forward. She is a strong female character, pushing the story forward. 


This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
The Grishaverse will be coming to Netflix soon with Shadow and Bone, an original series!

Enter the Grishaverse with Book One of the Shadow and Bone Trilogy by the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom.

Soldier. Summoner. Saint. Orphaned and expendable, Alina Starkov is a soldier who knows she may not survive her first trek across the Shadow Fold―a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters. But when her regiment is attacked, Alina unleashes dormant magic not even she knew she possessed.
Now Alina will enter a lavish world of royalty and intrigue as she trains with the Grisha, her country’s magical military elite―and falls under the spell of their notorious leader, the Darkling. He believes Alina can summon a force capable of destroying the Shadow Fold and reuniting their war-ravaged country, but only if she can master her untamed gift.
As the threat to the kingdom mounts and Alina unlocks the secrets of her past, she will make a dangerous discovery that could threaten all she loves and the very future of a nation.
Welcome to Ravka . . . a world of science and superstition where nothing is what it seems.
A New York Times Bestseller
A Los Angeles Times Bestseller
An Indie Next List Book
This title has Common Core connections.

Reading log: July 2, 2019 - July 3, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...