Skip to main content

Review of King of Scars



I am giving this book 4/5 stars!

I spent a few months reading this book because I had to put it down because of school. I don't think that me picking it up and putting it down for a while effected my feelings towards the book overall though. The beginning was a little boring. It started off as a "meh" book, but (at the very least) the last 100 pages were very enjoyable! AND THAT ENDING! I love how the story ended and cannot wait for the next book. I just hope the next one doesn't start off boring too. 
I think this story really adds to the Grishaverse world. The author did a great job developing the magic system, the entire world, and the characters. The magic system gets built on, and I'm wondering how this will impact the future of Ravka and its neighboring countries. I hope that we get to see the implications it creates in the next book. I saw a good amount of growth in Zoya, Nina, and Nikolai, and it made for an interesting story. We learn more about Zoya and Nikolai as characters, and we get to see Nina's grieving process over the death in Crooked Kingdom. I think that if you were to read this book, you would need to read Shadow and Bone trilogy AND Six of Crows duology before starting it, otherwise you will be spoiled. 
Some of the discoveries from Nina's pov (there are four pov total: Nina, Zoya, Nikolai, Isaak) pulled at my heart strings, and I found myself more invested in her story than in the Zoya and Nikolai's part. I also found myself more invested in Isaak's, given his role in the story. After a little bit, I became equally invested in all stories and I was very excited to see how it would all come together for the ending. I wasn't disappointed!


This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
A 2020 LOCUS AWARD FINALIST!

The Grishaverse will be coming to Netflix soon with Shadow and Bone, an original series!

Enter the Grishaverse with the instant #1 New York Times-bestseller King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo, the first book in the King of Scars Duology.


"[Bardugo] touches on religion, class, family, love ― all organically, all effortlessly, all cloaked in the weight of a post-war reckoning with the cost (literal and figurative) of surviving the events that shape both people and nations." ―NPR

"The story exists at an intersection of past and future selves, and in the dawning understanding that what you most fear may be what you most need." ―Washington Post

Face your demons...or feed them. The dashing young king, Nikolai Lantsov, has always had a gift for the impossible. No one knows what he endured in his country’s bloody civil war―and he intends to keep it that way. Now, as enemies gather at his weakened borders, Nikolai must find a way to refill Ravka’s coffers, forge new alliances, and stop a rising threat to the once-great Grisha Army.

Yet with every day a dark magic within him grows stronger, threatening to destroy all he has built. With the help of a young monk and a legendary Grisha general, Nikolai will journey to the places in Ravka where the deepest magic survives to vanquish the terrible legacy inside him. He will risk everything to save his country and himself. But some secrets aren’t meant to stay buried―and some wounds aren’t meant to heal.



Reading log: Mar. 31, 2020 to Jun. 19, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...