Skip to main content

Review of Serpent & Dove



I am giving this book 5/5 stars! 
Okay so I finished The Queen of Nothing before reading this book and it definitely left me in a big book hangover. After a week or so I knew the only way to get out of it or push it along would be to read a book that I will love equally as much or more, so I picked this book off my shelf... It has made me go from one book hangover to another, and I'm not even completely finished with the last one!

I wasn't even half way through this book when I began to really click with the characters. It happened very quickly and without my knowledge. I love Ansel, Coco, Lou, and Reid. So much character development occurred, especially for Lou and Reid. It happened in a way that made me love them even more. I have to admit, at first I didn't know how I felt about Reid. I didn't think I would end up liking him as much as I do, and that's what I call good character development!

An event occurred close to the middle of the book that had me balling my eyes out and I have to say I am shocked because I have never cried during the first book. I usually cry in the second or third, and it usually is a tear or maybe glassy eyes. I hadn't cried the way I did over this book in around four years! This book forced me to cry multiple times and the author definitely has my heart in her hands. This book easily made it to my list of favorite books that I will recommend to anyone. 

The story is very entertaining and original. I haven't read many books with witches in it. I think I have only read one other one. It's not because I don't like books with witches in it or anything, it's just that I haven't seen many or gotten around to reading the ones I have with them. But because of this book, I think I may just start going into a phase where I need to read every single book with a witch in it! 

I can't wait to see how the story continues and what happens next for Lou and Reid! I need the next book ASAP! This wait is going to be hard... 


This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
"A brilliant debut, full of everything I love: a sparkling and fully realized heroine, an intricate and deadly system of magic, and a searing romance that kept me reading long into the night. Serpent & Dove is an absolute gem of a book." —Sarah J. Maas, #1 New York Times bestselling author of A Court of Thorns and Roses series
Bound as one, to love, honor, or burn. Book one of a stunning fantasy duology, this tale of witchcraft and forbidden love is perfect for fans of Kendare Blake and Sara Holland.
Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.
As a huntsman of the Church, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live. But when Lou pulls a wicked stunt, the two are forced into an impossible situation—marriage.
Lou, unable to ignore her growing feelings, yet powerless to change what she is, must make a choice. And love makes fools of us all.
Set in a world of powerful women, dark magic, and off-the-charts romance, book one of this stunning fantasy duology will leave readers burning for more.
New York Times Bestseller


Reading log: Nov. 27, 2019 - Nov. 29, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...