Skip to main content

Review of Crooked Kingdom



*Actual rating: 4.5/5 stars!*

I think I enjoyed this book more than I did the last one. It has more going on and we get to see and hear about the characters from the Shadow and Bone trilogy more than we did in the first book. 

I think the events in this book were more interesting than the events in the last book, but the repetition did get tiring. While that is the case, Bardugo did have the time that I realized it was just kind of repeating itself be the last time. 

We see character development all around. Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Wylan, Matthias, and Nina all go through some kind of character development and it was done soooo well. Especially for Kaz, Jesper, Wylan and Matthias. It was so great to be able to see them go through it.

This book made me cry, which is why I believe this book (and the series in general) is so great. I was able to get attached enough to allow it to make me feel the emotions the author wanted me to feel. I only cried during two back-to-back scenes, and I am positive that if you haven't read it yet and you like the characters, you will probably cry too. 

I really hope that Bardugo *does* create a third book later on. It definitely ended in a way that would allow her to continue the series if she liked. I honestly think that if she doesn't write a third book, she should at least give a little novella or something like that since it ended in a way that left me with many questions that haven't been answered. 


This review is also on Goodreads and Bookbub!


Synopsis:
The Grishaverse will be coming to Netflix soon with Shadow and Bone, an original series!

Crooked Kingdom: the highly anticipated sequel to Leigh Bardugo's thrilling #1 New York Times-bestselling Six of Crows.
Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.


Reading log: Jan. 21, 2020 to Feb. 21, 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Heir of Fire

I am giving this book 4.5/5 stars! In this book, we meet multiple new people, more answers are given, and more questions are left unanswered. I think this is the book where things really start to go down and get interesting. It's a turning point, not just for the characters, but for the story as a whole. Even the feel of the book is different. As I was reading, I felt like Chaol and Dorian's point of view was providing a slice of the past books, Manon's point of view was providing a slice of the future and where the series is heading, and Celaena's point of view was providing the transition from past to future. I really like Manon, more than I had anticipated. She brings something good to the table and the story and I can't wait to see how she continues to develop as a character. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she plays a bigger role in Celaena's story later on! I teared up a few times because OOOHHH MYYYY GOODNESS I am speechless with how the s...

Review of Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling

I received this book after telling the author I would love to Beta Read her book, which was in response to her newsletter. It releases November 27, 2019! I am giving this book 5/5 stars! I didn't know what to expect from this book. Just before starting it, I had finished another Beauty and the Beast retelling ( A Curse So Dark and Lonely )that had quickly made it to the top of my list of favorite retellings. I didn't expect this book to be as great as that, but it was! Gilded Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Retelling quickly made it to the top of my list and is now one of my favorite retellings.  The Beast is one of a kind in my eyes. He seemed more demonic and I honestly loved that. It made me think of Persephone and Hades. I hadn't read a book where the beast was portrayed this way, and it left me wondering how on earth the author was going to have Amicia fall in love with someone like that.  The first chapter did a great job at setting up the story and getting i...

Review of A Curse So Dark and Lonely

I'm giving this book 4/5 stars! This book definitely met my expectations (considering there was sooo much hype), but it also took a turn I didn't expect. I was expecting a story similar to many of the other Beauty and the Beast retellings where they are a monster 24/7 and there are cursed people that may or may not be objects (kind of like Beast: a Tale of Love and Revenge by Lisa Jensen). I was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case. It definitely has its own original twist that makes it feel like I haven't read this story before, even though I know the tale it is based off of. It was refreshing and I think I enjoyed it a lot more because of that. A Curse So Dark and Lonely is definitely the best retelling I have EVER read.  This story hooked me right from the start and it got straight to the point. It didn't take forever describing anything and I really enjoyed that. The author did a great job at not information dumping and keeping everything neat...